I need to follow my heart.

Jul 11, 2008

Crack iBT!

The most tough but significant sets of iBT are spoken and listening, in my observation, which may arouse resonance among the majority of test-takers whose native language or vernacular dialect is far distinct from English or American-English. Nevertheless, I have to face the coming test in September, no matter how frustrated I have been being.

By the way, grade of GRE of June, 2008 has been released. Maggie's result does not accord with her expectation to some extent. Well, the outcome cannot be revised, despite how eager we are. Such things always take place, and the only act we could adopt is to accept them and go on striving. Everything will be fine, indeed. When it comes to me, I am even not bold enough to make a call to ETS. First, I donnot konw how to address a disgruntling marks; secondly, the expenditure of making that call is 12 bucks, but I refuse to pay ETS any more.

Last night, a talk show in CCTV4 attracted me greatly. It was a competition -- The First Contest of Foreign Students in China. Next I will show you the main content of it. Every player has to answer two questions displayed in screen to get a score in terms of lights. The range of number of lights differentiates from 0 to 5, which is appraised by five referees. Thus, the lowest mark a play may receive is 0, and the highest is 5. The question coming up first is a choice test. Moderator require a student to select a movie clip from a pool; after which the student watches the clip and answer question. For instance, next several paragraphs will be expressed in Chinese, in order to keep the original essence.

《甲方乙方》中的片段:(傅彪要求吃苦的那一段)
梁子:“回老爷太太,张佃户家的租子还是没收齐啊!”
葛优:“那不成啊,得按合同办哪,地主家也没有余粮啊!”
梁子:“是啊,猪,他们家昨儿自个儿给吃了,大丫头前儿也走了西口了。”
葛优:“那二丫头呢?”
梁子:“让李地主他们家先一步抢走了,现在是就剩张佃户本人了。”
葛优:“那孩儿他娘哪?”
梁子:“你哪儿那么多废话啊,东打听西打听的。快,赶紧带人。”
(张佃户推门进来)“我就是张富贵!”

Q1: 请选择大丫头去哪里了?
A: 收租子去了
B: 去李地主家了
C: 走西口了
D: 在张佃户家

The competitor has 30 seconds to make a decision. This type of question totally imitates the one of GRE or iBT, which makes me yock. Finally the student choosed B, just a second before deadline. As you can imagine, this player got zero lights on it.

The second question is: Please describe the manner of the landowner in the movie clip. That is to say, please say something about Ge You. Speech is also under 30 seconds limitation. The player began to sweat and waver. "地主很幽默...很好...很关心大女儿....我很欣赏..." answered the student. From her response, I get to know how poor my spoken English is. Perhaps I behave evern worse than her. Mmmh...it seems that I should try hard to practice spoken English.

No comments: